January 21, 2013

Book Review: Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)

Author: Laini Taylor

Pages: 417

Year Published: 2011

My rating: An undeniable 5/5 stars!


Quick synopsis from Goodreads:
Around the world, black hand prints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky. In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grows dangerously low. And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war. Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages—not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

Sometimes, you forget what a good book can do to you. Pounding heart, wide eyes, shortened breath. Daughter of Smoke and Bone revived that feeling in me.

From the turn of the first page, I was sucked into a mysterious world, boldly crafted by Laini Taylor. This is the kind of book in which you have no idea what to expect. The synopsis gave away nothing, which was perfect, because you actually had the freedom to roam around in your own thoughts, your own imagination, and think about all the different possibilities this story could take in. And the writing. Rich, velvety, deep. Yet not overly excessive. Taylor is an amazing storyteller that isn't afraid to show originality.


She was eager, piping. "I could help."
Wistful, entranced. "I could learn."
Determinedly, incorrigible "I could learn"

Reading that passage just solidified my love for this book. Maybe it wasn't Taylor's best passage, but there is something so soothing, so magical about it that made me copy it down immediately.

And the characters. Oh the characters... They weren't all deserving of compassion, but they were so majestically created, so alert and alive, that I couldn't just help but admire them. Karou was fiery, audacious, and clever. (Highlight for spoiler)
In one sense, I kind of wished she had her own identity, but her tie to Madrigal did bring a whole new dimension, and profound depth to this story She was a wonderful protagonist who brought a knowing sense of power and vulnerability to the book.

Endeavoring, edgy, and nothing short of brilliant. Daughter of Smoke and Bone will transport you into a daring world where anything, and everything, seems possible.

12 comments:

  1. AWESOME REVIEW GRACE! Omg loved how you described the book but ughh I have so many TBR books just sitting on my shelf with absolutely zero time to read because school's about to start again and I still have got sooo much holiday homework to do and *sniff* I believe this is what it feels like to be torn between what's good for you and what your heart truly wants D;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! And I totally agree with you! I just borrowed a dozen book at the library, and I'm not even done the books I bought during the holidays! But I remember distinctly that one night I completely ignored my homework and read this book instead, it was just so good!

      Thanks for stopping by, and commenting!

      -Grace :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, I really, really enjoyed this book too! Absolutely brilliant review by the way! I loved everything about Karou (especially her blue hair and individuality), but I can totally understand what you said in the white. I stiilllll haven't read the second in the series, but a lot of people are saying it's not only as good, but better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Ruby! And gosh, I really need to get my hands on the second one too! And wow, that's awesome!! A lot of times, I find the second book in a series just not as great as the first, so that's a great thing to hear!

      Thank you for reading my review and commenting!

      -Grace :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely review, Grace! I, too, loved this book, in my opinion it is extremely underrated! I enjoyed hearing your thoughts :)

    www.leopardkittybooks.blogspot.com
    -Annie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Annie! And yes, I've heard a lot of rave reviews for it, but it's not getting as much attention as I thought it would! Although, the thought that this book is much isolated from a part of the world makes it seem like an even brighter gem!

      Thanks for the comment Annie, it really means a lot to me!

      -Grace :)

      Delete
  4. Love the blog. It reminds me of the book cover Slice if only because it has a watermelon on it. This sounds like one of the books you read that you have no words. It's just amazing and you can say no more. Enjoyed the review.
    New follower (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. And thank you Adriana! For commenting and following! I'll remember to check out the cover of Slice!

      I have followed your blog too, it is so lovely!

      -Grace :)

      Delete
  5. You're review. O____O So b-e-a-u-tiful. T ^ T.

    I've heard so much good for this book and so many people are wanting the second book already! I guess you can say, I feel a bit...skeptical about this book. I don't know why I do, but i just have that skeptical feeling. :/

    Maybe I'll pick it up at the library. I saw it too...but that was before it was so popular...and now it is...and I don't know if I should...because I don't feel like it...and I'm skeptical....It's a wait and see if I will. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Delaney! And yes, I know that feeling, although, sometimes, maybe going against your hunch will turn out to be the right decision. :)

      If you have time, I think you should definitely give this book a try!

      -Grace :)

      Delete
  6. I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't read this book yet - great review as always Grace, thank you for motivating me to pick up Daughter and Smoke of Bone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Thomas, and please do so as soon as possible! It's just a book that anybody and everybody should give a try!

      -Grace :)

      Delete

Hi! If you are here, I'm assuming that you've just read my post. If yes, don't hesitate on leaving a quick comment, I truly do appreciate each and every single one of them!

-Grace :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...